Friday, March 22, 2013

Good Omens Book Review

Rawr Reader,


   This is Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. As you may probably already know I'm a Neil Gaiman fan, and after reading the synopsis, I was definitely interested. A funny, quirky interpretation of the Apocalypse, who wouldn't want to read it? Well, here is the synopsis provided by Goodreads:


According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner. 
So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon--both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle--are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture. 
And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .


Reference:
  I was browsing Neil Gaiman's works on Goodreads.

Review:
(safe for those who haven't read the book yet)
   This is the funniest book I've ever read. And it had to do with angels, demons, the Antichrist, the Four Horsemen, witches, witch-finders, aliens, Atlantians, a whole bunch of other people, and the Apocalypse. What's not there to love?
    I can't think of much to say, however I felt the constant POV change really confusing at first. It wasn't until the last 150 pages or so I begun to get a hang of it. And the ending itself was a little anti-climatic. I won't say what happens, but I was expecting more.
   My favorite characters are Aziraphale and Crowley. They're supposed to be natural enemies, being angel and demon, but their common love and admiration of the world and it's people makes them more tolerable of each other. Oh their pairing is just ineffable
   Neil Gaiman has a great talent of giving all his characters memorable names. I mean, he's the only one who can give a hellhound, the personal sidekick to the Antichrist, and name him Dog. I could go on about all the other names I like, but I'll just leave it at Dog. ;)
    
I give this book 3.5/5 stars. I really wanted to like this book more, but it didn't turn out as I thought. I'd recommend it because it is a fun read and really funny.


Author's Quote:
“Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.” 
― Terry Pratchett


My Goodreads:

Next To Read:
Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Agnes Nutter's Spoilers:
(Good Omens special edition)
(unsafe for those who haven't read this yet, so don't read this section)
    When Newt and Shadwell were introduced, I didn't really understand what was going on. Maybe when I was reading it I wasn't paying attention, but either way, I didn't catch the point of them. Also Madame Tracy seemed unimportant, I wish she wasn't in the story.
    After a certain point, I thought that the Them was going to replace the Four Horsemen, since each one had a girl. That's a lame reason but hey it could have happened. 
    I really liked Anathema Device's character. Her and Newt's chemistry was like Azairaphale and Crowley's (though more romantic than the angel and demon's), it just fit. 
     

Until Next Time,
Nicole Ciel

No comments:

Post a Comment