Saturday, April 6, 2013

Eon Book Review

Rawr Reader,

     Yay reading books. Lots of the books that I love and they love me. I have friends...
    Alright in this review I'll be discussing the book Eon by Alison Goodman which is the first in the very rare duology Eon series. I think I loved it more just because it didn't fall into the convention of a trilogy or 4/5/6/7 series which apparently every writer simply must copy. I'm alright, I'm alright. Here we go, this is the synopsis provided by Goodreads:



Sixteen-year-old Eon has a dream, and a mission. For years, he's been studying sword-work and magic, toward one end. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye-an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.
But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a twelve-year-old boy. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured.
When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.


Reference:
    My eyes have slipped over this book spine more than once or twice when walking down the bookstore aisle for probably over a year, so one day I said to myself, "You know what Nicole? Enough, just read it already!" So thank you feisty Nicole for your persuasiveness. I'm finally getting to reading this. 

Review:
(safe for those who haven't read this book yet)
    I would like to start this review by really praising whoever created this book cover. It's soo pretty. I just want to pet it, oh lookie there, yes I'm petting it. Like a pet. Okay I'll stop. But seriously so pretty!
    This book, my feels right now after finishing it: ahhhh. I haven't read a genre fantasy book in a really long time and it was nice to take a step out of young adult and romance atmospheres and into another world. Literally! Okay, I have to say I didn't have a complaint about this book until about 100 pages before the end, when I started to get bored (but I blame that on reading 400 pages nonstop, so I may be slightly biased). But this isn't what I'd classify as a fast-paced story, so it actually didn't bother me as much as other books. Goodman took her time creating this world and her characters and I actually want to live in this world of magic and dragons! I love the dragons!
    If you're looking for romance, there isn't any. So don't start reading this expecting anything. Maybe in the next book, but not in this one. 
    I felt a connection with Eona's character and it may partially be because I just like the plot behind the story (a girl pretending to be a boy to try and be a Dragoneye since girls aren't allowed) and the fact it's in this fantastical world, made me sympathize with her character. And the fact she was crippled didn't shine her in a new light for me, she was just a girl trying to make her way and be accepted. That's a different kind of strength any reader should have respect for.
    Hmm, choosing my favorite character is quite difficult since there are so many great rounded characters. I'd have to say Eon, I think Goodman did a phenomenal job with creating her character, I sort of have to say it. Eon is just a badass, how could I not love her?
   Goodman's writing style itself was spectacular. While I wouldn't be able to pick up a book at random and automatically tell it's her writing like I would Neil Gaiman or J.R.R. Tolkien, however I found she can mold words to create a world that feels as real as the one we live in and that in itself is spellbinding. I think creating the world was a major part in making this story not only believable (as much as any fantasy can become) but an epic, a journey that only few in all of time take part in. I felt the customs, traditions, and habits of the people in this world as if I were in Eon's shoes and I felt all the good along with the bad and I understood as if it were the customs/traditions/habits of my society. 
   This ending pushed this story to another level, I was genuinely surprised. I feel the pull to go my local bookstore and get the next and final book in this duology (which makes me love this book even more since it's not stand-alone and not a 3+ series), I can't wait to see how it ends! But I have other books to read, so I'll just have to wait. :)
    But you can go. Go get this book and read it! It's fantastic!!!!


I give this epic book 5/5 stars. I'd recommend this book and I'd definitely read it again.


Author's Quote:
“I found power in accepting the truth of who I am. It may not be a truth that others can accept, but I cannot live any other way. How would it be to live a lie every minute of your life.” 
― Alison Goodman, Eon: Dragoneye Reborn


My Goodreads:


Next To Read:
The Archived by Victoria Schwab


River Song's Spoilers:
(unsafe for those who haven't read this book yet, so don't read this section)
    I knew it! I knew the Mirror Dragon's name was going to be Eona! When the words "Eona" were being said in the ceremony in the beginning,  I didn't think much of it. But once Dillon asked her if she heard the dragon say it's name, I chuckled at myself being all like, "watch the dragon's name be Eona, and Eona (Eon) think the dragon was calling for her(Eon) to just say her(Eon's) name." I was right!! Ah when it was revealed it was the dragon's name at the end, I just patted myself on the back (mentally). Good job Nicole, and good job to anyone who guessed at it early, too. ^^
    I suspected that Master Heuris Brannon loved Eon since one of the early chapters. I think Goodman made it obvious those first several chapters. So when Eon found her "needle tube" (which someone explain to me what that was please) and she learned that he loved her, I wasn't reacting the same as Eon. I'm sure I'm not the only one who read this book who caught Brannon's subtle hints at affection (which I'm assuming you have since you're reading this section, and if not--sneaky sneaky). This older man-younger woman relationship reminded me of Memoirs of a Geisha and I actually thought it was going to turn out like that, but that idea went out the window as soon as Brannon died. Then my attention turned to Prince Kygo, so I wonder if Goodman will develop that relationship in the next book. 
    Alright, when Ido turned good I was caught of guard (maybe my mind was exhausted from reading 400 pages...) but it seemed to happen to suddenly. But for some reason, this didn't bother me as much as I know it would have if this book had been a young-adult paranormal romance. I had to reread those couple pages again because I was so thrown off. Anyone else feel that way?
   Almost every book has their slow moments, and for me ironically it was when the action was occurring. Specifically when Ryko was trying to get Eon into the palace to find Lady Dela to see if she could read the red folio. It went on for like 50 pages or it sure felt like it and in all honesty I don't really know what happened. All I remember is Ryko killing guards then running into his resistance friends, Solly, etc. I'm horrible I know. But I got the point after 20 pages.

Until Next Time,
Nicole Ciel

No comments:

Post a Comment