Tuesday, May 14, 2013

City of Glass Book Review

Rawr Reader,

   It took me a day to decide which book I wanted to read and after asking my grandma, because sometimes I just need an outsiders opinion, she told me to read this one. Out of the ones I suggested she said it'd be better to just continue on with a series I started and it made sense. City of Glass it was! Here is the synopsis provided by Goodreads:




To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.


As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?



Reference:
   Unless you're unfamiliar with the Mortal Instruments series, this is the third book in the trilogy, so I heard about this from the second book.


Review:
(safe for those who haven't read this book yet)
    I preferred the second book over the first, but now finishing it I think I prefer/still prefer City of Ashes. I think what I liked about this book was this it was set in a different place other than Manhattan. While I like the urban feel to one of the most popular cities in the world, it was nice that this was set in a foreign environment, but not only that but a fantastical place that's not visible to mundanes.
   What bothered me most about this book were the main characters. Except Simon. I love Simon. Pretty sure nothing could make stop loving Simon. No-- who I'm talking about is Clary and Jace. They aren't my favorite couple, however the story and the world it's in is interesting with Shadowhunters, vampires (though I'm personally tired of them, Simon's one so I don't mind as much), werewolves, warlocks, sometimes even sinister fairies, demons and angels. So many interesting creatures and so many cool characters but the two people Clare chose to concentrate on are possibly some of the most annoying people ever. Okay, I've read about more annoying chracters, but I figured with all the hype this series gets I wouldn't be as disappointed. I'm extremely against people always so needy and desperate for people's affections who don't deserve them. I think I just need a break from young adult...
   I don't think I need to express my feelings about Clary not finishing her sentences. Clare is so rude and always has her interrupted (if she thinks it makes suspense for the reader, it does, and it pisses me off in the process). But unfortunately it hasn't stopped from appearing since the first and second book, and I'm sure it will continue on with the next books in the series. I just hope this part of her style and transcend to all future books she writes, or the Infernal Devices trilogy which I haven't read yet.  
   Overall, I found this book okay. I can see why a lot of young teens are crazy about this series, it was my generations Twilight, and it's only until a year or so ago I didn't realize how bad it was. But it's alright because I was young, I didn't understand the importance of plots or substantial character developments in stories. I didn't dislike this book more than I liked it, I'd say indifferent toward it-- putting aside the problems with it I found in the first two books. It's probably in the same rank as the first book for me, I'm not blown away but I'm still interested in reading more (for Simon, only ever for Simon).

I give this book 2/5 stars.


Author's Quote:
“I am a man" he told her, "and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown.”
-Jace, City of Glass


My Goodreads:


Next To Read:
Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin


River Song's Spoilers:
(unsafe for those who haven't read this book yet, so don't read this section)
   Okay I figured that Jace and Clary weren't related. This series would be a complete bust and wouldn't have remained so popular if they had. I called it (check my book review on City of Ashes) in the spoiler section.
   When it was a quarter or so from the end, Jocelyn, Clary's mom comes back and I detested Clary's reaction. It wasn't like she was going through so much trouble to find the antidote to revive the woman who hadn't been in the story since the beginning of the first book, and the first thing she does is yell at her. The only family she's known all her life who actually cares about her no matter what and doesn't put up any facades! Well, Simon never fakes with her but it's her mom, she left the Shadowhunter life for Clary, I think she cares most about her.
   Also when Clary pulled a Dean Winchester (asking the Angel Raziel to bring back Jace from the dead), I rolled my eyes and couldn't believe she put this in the story. Since this is a young adult book, and predictable of course (I called that Jace wasn't going to be related to her after all and watch it be the Sebastian guy-- check my City of Ashes spoilers),  I knew he wasn't going to die. I might've felt the suspense more if the next books weren't out and I knew for a fact he doesn't die, but he didn't die, and there are other books-- so predictable predictable as always.
    And I'd just like to talk about the fact that Jace doesn't truly have a name since his parents never gave him one. Clare doesn't talk bring it up until the epilogue when Jace tells Clary he doesn't have a name and I felt like it didn't really dawn on him as much as it would've a normal person, Shadowhunter or not. I mean how would you feel if someone came up to you and basically said your life has been a lie and that you don't even have a name?? Like something as trivial as it may seem to everybody is their name, and it's something everyone has-- young, old, rich, poor, sick, healthy, etc. But he doesn't have one! I would feel sort of lost in the world. I wish there was a little more dawning. 


Until Next Time,
Nicole Ciel

No comments:

Post a Comment