Saturday, October 30, 2021

In the Hall with the Knife Book Review

 Rawr Reader,

It's difficult for me to resist a book series that is based off of one my favorite movies of all time. Let's see how Peterfreund handled the classic. 

The synopsis for In the Hall with the Knife by Diana Peterfreund is provided by Goodreads:


A murderer could be around every corner in this thrilling YA trilogy based on the board game CLUE!

When a storm strikes at Blackbrook Academy, an elite prep school nestled in the woods of Maine, a motley crew of students—including Beth “Peacock” Picach, Orchid McKee, Vaughn Green, Sam “Mustard” Maestor, Finn Plum, and Scarlet Mistry—are left stranded on campus with their headmaster. Hours later, his body is found in the conservatory and it’s very clear his death was no accident. With this group of students who are all hiding something, nothing is as it seems, and everyone has a motive for murder. Fans of the CLUE board game and cult classic film will delight in Diana Peterfreund’s modern reimagining of the brand, its characters, and the dark, magnificent old mansion with secrets hidden within its walls.




Reference:
Probably scrolling through Goodreads. I honestly can't remember. But I read two books from this author before and loved them so I figured I'd enjoy this too.


Review:
   Like Friends, I can't pick a favorite Clue character from the film. They're all so unique. It's what I was hoping for in this fun retelling. So discovering that this story follows Orchid's POV for the majority of the time, who I parallel with Mrs. Whitewho had some of the best lines in the movieI was ecstatic. Overall, the female characters stand out like stars, however apart from Mustard, most of the male characters, including Green and Plum, sort of blend into the same person at times.
   Oh the thrills of a murder mystery during a nightly thunderstorm (from an audience standpoint of course). Nothing like being out of reach of civilization and falling upon a dead body and not only having to share the same roof with them but then investigate the cause of death and if there's a murderer about. We follow the six stars and a few others not mentioned in the synopsis, so this isn't entirely a whodunnit between six suspects.
   I don't read YA too often but in ITHWTK I didn't feel like I was reading one. Which is a relief, because it would've put a mark against this author (who I've read from before and liked) when messing with a classic. 
   The twists and turns weren't as heart racing as a typical thriller but I think as you read on and as the relationships unfold and the motives behind the characters are revealed, you'll be satisfied and inclined to read on. 
   The book was a much-needed break after the behemoth I read previously and if you're in the lookout for a fun book, this will set you straight.   

I give this book 4/5 stars.


Quote:
"Well, it's a matter of life after death. Now that he's dead, I have a life."
-Mrs. White, Clue (1985)


My Goodreads:



Next To Read:
My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones



Spoilers:
   I didn't know this was gonna be a series until near the end when there was still unanswered questions about the pasts regarding Orchid and Mustard and future of Oliver. I ordered the rest of the trilogy the day I finished and while I might not review them, you can definitely see how they fared against the first of the series on my Goodreads.



Until Next Time,
Nicole Ciel


No comments:

Post a Comment