Saturday, February 16, 2013

Her Mad Hatter Book Review

Rawr Reader,

   Alright, I admit. It's past 2am and I'm here. Yet again. *sigh* I need a life. 
This is Her Mad Hatter by Marie Hall. But on to the synopsis! As always, this is given by Goodreads



Alice is all grown up. Running the Mad Hatter's Cupcakery and Tea Shoppe is a delicious job, until fate--and a fairy godmother with a weakness for bad boys--throws her a curveball. Now, Alice is the newest resident of Wonderland, where the Mad Hatter fuels her fantasies and thrills her body with his dark touch.
The Mad Hatter may have a voice and a body made for sex, but he takes no lovers. Ever. But a determined fairy godmother has forced Alice into Wonderland--and his arms. Now, as desire and madness converge, the Hatter must decide if he will fight the fairy godmother's mating--or fight for Alice.




Reference:

I found this story browsing the free book section of iBooks on my phone while I was trying to fall asleep. (Yeah like browsing books will help me fall asleep right?) Anyhoo, yes, I admit the cover popped out at me, the guy has a nice bod, but when I read the synopsis I thought it sounded interesting. Plus it was free, nothing to lose but my time. *sigh*




Review:
(no River Song's Spoilers for this review, so does have some spoilers)
  Okay, I'm a huge Alice in Wonderland fan--though I have yet to read the book-- and so that's what first drew me to the book. However, it was free, so I shouldn't have expected a life-altering message or anything else from it.
   When first started reading, I loved the writer's style. It wasn't fancy or formal and it may have broken a rule or two, but if it's the author's style then so be it! However, once she introduced the main girl character, I genuinely almost slapped my forehead.
   I'm not a fan of pathetic girls who fall instantly in love with a hot guy with no premise for actual love other than they just want to have sex with them. Yes she had a short time to get to know him and but I wish "love" wasn't always the default to relationships. You can be in strong like with someone. Yes it sounds weird as hell but love in especially young adult books I'm beginning to notice more and more are just about sex. And I'm not really going to find the book as attractive as I want it to be after that.
   And is it just my luck, or does every main male character tend to be hot in some way, shape, or form? Like, c'mon literature (if you even want to call it that...) but that isn't real. This is a young adult book with traces of erotica in it (The book says no, but yes, yes there is) so for all my younger readers out there or those who aren't into reading stuff like that, don't read this book.
    Oh my gosh Alice annoyed me. "Oh my gosh why do I want him when he just infuriates me, but I can't stop looking at his perfection... Oh my gosh could I be more pathetic? Oh my gosh I just want him but I don't... oh my has it only been three hours since we met, it's like we're already in love..." This is clearly an over exaggeration of her character, only it really isn't. I'd say a good half of the part focused on Alice and her thoughts/dialogue, she's continuously conflicted with herself and wanting Hatter but then not. The writer clearly needs to work on consistency in her main characters, because if she doesn't have it then I will only be frustrated as a reader and nothing drives away a reader like making the character conflicted. It's like we'll never get to know and understand the real them that the author knows and probably want to share (since they're writing the book and all.)
   I'll try to stay away from novels like this because one it's a waste of my time and yours since I don't want to write reviews on and I'm sure you don't want to read about, pardon my language, shi**y (yeah I still couldn't say it) stories with no real depth to them. I see why this book was free and while yes I couldn't put it down, it still needs more than want to keep reading. Second I'll try to avoid erotica novels in general, I'm more of a fantasy/young adult/adventure/sci-fi enthusiast. Though I have read The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden recently by Jessica Sorensen which involves a lot of sex and stuff but it actually had a story to it and I could sympathize with the characters more, it was a more overall enjoyable read for me. In Her Mad Hatter the only one I could tolerate was the Hatter and it was because he was actually suffering from his insanity.
   To be honest, I really wanted to like this book, and continuing with honesty, I really want to see if her other books are like that since they involve characters mentioned in the beginning of HMH, plus their synopsis' sound interesting. But I'm on the fence and I most likely won't read them but I wish I did.

I give this book 1.5/5 stars. 


Author's Quote:
(I couldn't find any quotes from the author that I liked so here's a quote on reading)
"Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote


If You'd Like to Check out my Goodreads:


Next To Read:
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly


Until Next Time,
Nicole Ciel

No comments:

Post a Comment